June Is National Rose Month!
Roses are a timeless flower that have earned a recognition other flowers could only dream of having! The rose is a symbol of some very powerful emotions such as love, passion, and beauty. With its deep symbolic meaning, it is no surprise that the flower remains a popular choice for many occasions such as anniversaries, birthdays, and weddings.
Why Do We Have A Whole Month Dedicated To Roses?
National Rose Month is celebrated each year in the month of June. June is an ideal month to celebrate roses as they are in full bloom and at the peak of their beauty at this time of year.
Roses not only hold a special place in our hearts but they also are significant in the history of our country. In 1986, President Ronald Reagan signed legislation that made the rose a national floral emblem. During the proclamation he stated “Americans have always loved the flowers with which God decorates our land. More often than any other flower, we hold the rose dear as the symbol of life and love and devotion, of beauty and eternity.”
A Few Ways To Celebrate National Rose Month:
- Visit A Botanical Garden: A botanical garden is the perfect place to soak in the beauty of the flowers and learn more facts about them as you explore. A great option that is local to Grand Rapids is Frederik Meijer Gardens. More information on their hours and exhibits can be found HERE.
- Plant Roses: Rose bushes are quite hardy and relatively easy to grow and can be a beautiful addition to your garden. (Or a great starting point if you are new to gardening!) According to Flowerland “West Michigan is a great place to grow roses… great soil, warm summer months, cooler spring and fall months with adequate rainfall. Some may argue roses are difficult to grow. Not so… remember, these are not your grandmother’s rose bushes.” If you would like to learn how to plant and grow your own roses, a step by step guide on can be found HERE.
- Buy A Bouquet For Yourself Or For Someone Else: Make someone smile by gifting them a bouquet, or treat yourself – you deserve it too! Eastern Floral has a beautiful selection of roses from a single stem to a vase filled with 100 red roses! (Yes, you heard that right!) Each arrangement features premium long stemmed roses and lush greenery. The roses are available in classic red, lavender, yellow, light pink and white with options to include lilies or babies breath. DURING THE MONTH OF JUNE ALL RED ROSE ARRANGEMENTS ARE 21% OFF. Find the beautiful rose bouquets HERE.
The Meaning Of Rose Colors:
There are over 300 species of roses – and meanings associated with every flower color. Curious what those meanings are? Check out the list below!
- Apricot, coral, ginger, orange and vermillion roses represent confidence, energy and fun.
- Blue roses signify calmness and tranquility.
- Green roses signify optimism.
- Lavender is often tied to enchantment, wonder, splendor, and mystery as well as love at first sight or enchantment at first sight.
- Pink roses symbolize caring, elegance, grace and happiness. They are associated with admiration and appreciation.
- Purple roses signify admiration and respect.
- Red roses represent romance, love and passion. They are associated with beauty and perfection.
- White roses represent purity and innocence. They are associated with marriage and new beginnings in life.
- Yellow roses symbolize cheer, friendship, happiness and joy.