Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 14, so the time is now to find something special for mom. Eastern Floral can help you find the perfect gift! Give us a call, visit us at the shop, or check out the Mother’s Day section of our website to see our incredible collection of Mother’s Day flowers and gifts. Be sure to shop early in order to guarantee delivery on Mother’s Day if you’re ordering flowers to be delivered.
After you’re done shopping, enjoy these fun facts about Mother’s Day:
1. Mother’s Day is the third most popular holiday in the world, behind only Christmas and Easter.
2. According to the Pew Research Center, more phone calls are made on Mother’s Day than any other day of the year.
3. A research study conducted by Nancy Etcoff, Ph.D., of Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, found that flowers affect human behavior and make people feel happier and more compassionate around fresh-cut blooms.
4. Approximately 65% of all greeting card sales occur in the last five days before Mother’s Day.
5. Women purchase 80% of all Mother’s Day cards.
6. In what was formerly Yugoslavia, children would tie up their mother on Mother’s Day. The only way she could be freed would be to “pay” her children with candy and treats.
7. Anna Jarvis is considered the founder of Mother’s Day in the United States. She quit her job to focus full-time on persuading politicians, business executives and civic leaders into making the holiday official. On May 8, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a Joint Resolution designating the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day thanks to the persistence of Jarvis. Jarvis never married nor had children of her own.
8. Around one-quarter of all flowers purchased throughout the year are purchased for Mother’s Day.
9. Many of the trademark sweaters that Mr. Rogers wore on his television show, Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood, were knitted by his real mother.
10. Mother’s Day was intended to be a day to honor mothers individually and not collectively, thus the reason for the apostrophe before the “s” – making it singular possessive instead of plural possessive.
11. Mother’s Day is the busiest day of the year for the restaurant industry with 62% of Americans dining out.